Tuesday, 12 June 2007

the letter 'm'

the other day i was in capricorn. a small girl named mckayla approached me. she is the niece of my little friend poem. as usual, she embraced my knees and looked up at me with her face covered in the stain from a local brand of tomato-flavored chips.

"swing me", she said in afrikaans. she loves when i grab her by the arms and twirl her around quickly. instead i just knelt down and gave her a big, long hug.

blinky's mother was standing next to me with her new baby girl in her arms. she was busy showing me how every child in capricorn has recently purchased her new caps she knits for 10 rand. it was true...i saw checkered-patterned heads running here and there. she was proud to be represented all over the community.

slowly a young man walked up to me. he looked very tired...but not the sort of tired that comes from lack of sleep. he looked soul-tired, as if life has become so exhausting simply because it requires him to stand up and face it each day. he just stop and stood there, watching me as i continued to hug mckayla.

"you know, you've just reminded me of something", he said to me.

"really? what's that?" i replied.

"my name is melvin", he told me as he reached out to shake my hand. i introduced myself before he continued. "i've got a little girl of my own. but i don't see her so much. i used to be a good father, but then i became a bad person. bad things came into my life and now i don't see my daugther very much."

"where does she live?" i inquired.

"just across in lavender hill. with my mommy." i asked him when he was going to see her again.

"i'm heading there now. you have reminded me that all i can do is love her. i see you giving hugs to these children, and you have just reminded me to go and hug my daughter. i see you are converted to jesus.

"and miss, when you think of the letter "m", remember to pray for me. i really need His help."

i smiled and promised to do so, then i stood watching as melvin lowered his hand, slid his hands in his jean pockets, and turned in the direction of lavender hill. as he walked away, i thought to myself that he wasn't just another drunk or high teenager talking nonsense, but that the earnesty in his eyes and in his voice would stay with me. i thought "i need to tell others about melvin."

so, if you think of the letter "m", remember to pray for melvin. he really needs His help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mother Teresa...beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. That alone is sufficient reason for being in SA. You make me proud. Very proud. Love, Gandhi

Anonymous said...

How wonderful God used you for encouragement to melvin. I am so proud to have a God loving, compassionate daughter-in-law.
Love you, DAD

Emma said...

ashley, i love reading your writing. keep it up.