Friday, 23 December 2005

all this time it's like god was trying to tell me that the shadows on the wall were not what was real.

"these things -- the beauty, the memory of our own past -- are good images of what we really desire: but if they are mistaken for the thing itself they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshippers. for they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we hve not heard, news from a country we have never visited."--cs lewis

i really enjoy plato. maybe i'm a mainstream fan of the obvious, but i really like his writings. in particular, i was really moved by Plato's "The Allegory of the Cave when I read it in Burma a few years ago.
"Last of all he will be able to see the sun, and not mere reflections of him in the water, but he will see him in his own proper place, and not in another; and he will contemplate him as he is."

I didn't realize just how greatly both of these men, in the quotes above, are describing something god as been saying to me my whole life.

"now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we shall see face to face. my knowledge now is partial; then it will be whole. like God's knowledge of me." 1corinthians13.12

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

seriously ashley... i think everyday it's more and more confirmed...we are destined to be friends. ha. I have seriously made references to the cave allegory at least twice in class in the past two months....
this is random but have you ever read "Utopia"?

Anonymous said...

I've been struggling with reality lately. It's so hard when everything you know is in the realm of the unseen... Like being stuck waiting for things hoped for, but not yet visible. God says these are the eternal things, but it makes you feel a little disconnected when the world is all you know. I feel a little schitzophrenic when I'm trying to live in one world and hope in another.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it http://www.louis-vuitton-handbags-6.info/Lingerie_libanon.html frank thomas jackets generic tenuate 50 pill on line http://www.xenical-0.info/discount-tenuate.html efexor venlafaxine Leg cramp lipitor sport mp3 player Forum phentermine what is tramadol

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Grd vl320 minidv video camera