Sunday, 18 December 2005

are you joking?

I really get to live here?

and, I really get to work for this man?

This is Pastor John Thomas, of Cape Town South Africa.
My first real encounter with John Thomas occured this past summer when he and his wife Avril were visiting church in America. He and I sat down for a long time and he shared about Living Hope with me. After we prayed and finished our discussion, he invited me to come and work in South Africa. At this time, I was going to Burma, but a few months later that all changed.
Now, this man has again invited me to South Africa, and I am leaving in Feburary. He is totally amazing.
Please listen to his radio interview with Jars of Clay. In this segment, he is explaining the recent connections established with President Bush and his administration. It's absolutely mind-blowing. And I have been given an opportunity by God to work under this man. I am so in awe of this whole thing.

To hear the full interveiw, visit THIS website.

ps--The United Human Rights Council has reorganized their website. It looks really good! I like the bright colors--it is much better than that old black and white they used to use. One needs bright colors when one is reading about mass murder and governmental denial of human rights violations. Take a read...

2 comments:

Emma said...

okay, yes you are totally blessed by getting to live in S. Africa... and we will all be tuning in so we can live vicariously through you... and you are hilarious- you are the only person i know who would take note of the website design change of the UHRC. classic.

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Ashley,

I'm excited for you about South Africa, with an "informed enthusiasm" since I've been there, done that in a small way:
www.bbcsouthafrica.blogspot.com
Of course, your experience will be all your own.

And a catch-up comment on C.S. Lewis: I've been a fan since my 5th-grade teacher read us 5 of the 7 Narnia books (one chapter a day, after lunch); we even discussed them briefly, in a PUBLIC school!. I've read them all many times. So the film had to be REALLY good for me to "approve." The producers can rest easy; I do.

Of course, I was also impacted by his books for grownups, too. I understand one of his favorites was "'Til We Have Faces," a novel based on a Greek-styled myth of his own creation. I think you'd enjoy it, in case you haven't read it.

Grace, Peace and Merry Christmas!

Mark