Tuesday, 06 December 2005

the invasion of stevie nicks.


i am in this wierd StEvIe NiCkS wOrLd these days.
It started last week when I frantically searched for "The Dance" album in my old stack of cd's from my hippy days. Fleetwood Mac is up there in my top 5 favorite musical groups list. I heard one of their songs on the radio and immediately felt my ears being sucked into this place of hunger and craving for thier music.
It's been a week and I haven't listened to much else. I've started researching the band more, reading about Stevie, Stevie and Lindsey, and about the origin of some of their lyrics.
Rhiannon. Rhiannon has my attention.

I was driving to Jason's house the other day to show him all my photos from China, since he is now there helping Clay Crosse as he adopts a little chinese baby, Sophie May. (p.s.--she's the cutest thing ever!)
So I was driving to his house and track 4 started..."Rhiannon rings like a bell through the night, and wouldn't you love to love her?" On and on it went, strining along Stevie's deep, rhaspy voice..."She is like a cat in the dark and then she is your darkness"..."Would you stay if she promised you heaven"..."dreams unwind, love's a state of mind."
Ending with her famous petitions: "Take me now. Take me by the sky."

Something very specific came from God, to me, through Stevie. God spoke the finale of Truth to an issue I've been really struggling with since, well, forever that I can remember. I put the song on repeat and listened again...doing that thing where you try to catch every word in your heart and dig into it for a deeper significance, which never works because you either get caught on the first verse or you just get distracted, and so you start the song over, saying "Ok, quiet. You have to listen to the words."
I did this about 5 times.

And God spoke. He's doing that alot lately.

Like Mary, I hid his promise in my heart, I treasured what he said deep in my soul.

And yesterday a guy at work who I've been really feeling burdened for, a guy who wears his hurt on his sleeve and I ache when he aches, even though I never know what's really going on in his head--this guy and i were brewing coffee at 545 am. And "rhiannon" came on the speakers in the quiet of the morning. Inside, I smiled and thought to myself "This song = God's voice directed to me".
And my friend Chris, the guy at work, said EXACTLY what God had said to me about this song and it's significance in my life. EXACTLY. Like God spoke through his lips to my heart.

Stevie has changed me. This song has changed me. It's a greally good change.

God keeps me on my toes. Something I've wrestled with for a long time hit the mat in KO defeat through the inspiration experience by stevie nicks 30 years ago.

5 comments:

Richard D. Jenkins said...

Ashley,
Keep wrestling with God, you may end up like Jacob, broken but better~~ By the way, I love Rhiannon and a song on the live album called "My little Demon."

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

the whole album pretty much consumes me once i turn it on. silver springs. everywhere. BLEED TO LOVE HER. ugh...these songs are amazing. landslide. don't stop.

ok, the whole album. it's amazing. all you people, go. own the album.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Dance:1921256843:page=tracks

go here for a sample of each song.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »