Thursday, 30 March 2006

a mom to celebrate.

march 30th. i miss my mom.
i'm like a street kid who cannot go home. but unlike them, i get to hear my mom say "i love you" and hear her voice lovingly talk to me.

my mom is sober. my mom is christian. my mom thinks of me and takes care of herself so she can be around for my life. she's not selfish or self-focused. she is honest. she is thoughtful. she is a loyal mom. she gives me her best.

i could have a mother who i don't know, or one who beats me. i could be like damien. i could wander through my life alone and lonely--from gang to god, back to gang again. i could use drugs to numb my pain. i could live off of buckets of food and the next volunteer.
but god chose to bless me with an amazing mother who loved me even when i was totally unloveable. they prayed for me. they taught me how to hold out in hope for god to overcome.
so instead of sadness about being far away from my mom, perhaps i should think of what it means to not have a mom. i should be thankful that god has brought me here to love on me and love on others through me--to hold out in hope for god to overcome all the pain in their lives--those with no mom to celebrate.

to my mom, happy birthday--i celebrate you on this precious day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well, you know her love language as well as i do--which makes my phone call and email seem miraculously powerful!
you did your best, dad. that's all that matters :)
did she get her stain-glass xhosa lady? most of my friends here are xhosa.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »