Saturday, 29 October 2005

bombs by any other name would be just as deadly.


"The blast was so powerful, my house shook," Kiran Mohan, a photo editor who lives about 200m (650 ft) away from Sarojini market, told Associated Press.

Babu Lal Khandelwal, a shop owner in Paharganj, said: "There was black smoke everywhere. When the smoke cleared and I could see, there were people bloody and people lying in the street."

Sarojini Nagar shopkeeper, Bansi Lal, said: "There were two foreigners who were on fire and they were begging me to help them. But I was in a daze. I could not help them."

The BBC's Paul Danahar, who was at the site of the blast in Sarojini Nagar, says the scene was one of carnage and confusion.

I have about 6 friends who just landed in Delhi three days ago.I haven't heard from any of them. Tragedies such as this strike everyday and as your own world gets bigger through those awesome people God connects your path with, you are living day to day in these tragedies. It's a way that I feel almost responsible for the hurting world.
What's going on in India? In Pakistan? In South Asia? In Myanmar and the area around it? What's happening to the American coasts? What's stirring underneath the waters of our lives and erupting them into moments of life-changing trauma? What's happening every second that we don't see coming until it hits like a tsunami or an earthquake or a hurricane or a bomb?
Violence manifests itself in nature and in nurture. In times like this, discriminating between the cause of origin is irrelevant. In times like this, pain is pain and broken things crack and bend underfoot. We walk through the red light districts of lovelessness and sin or we tiptoe around the shards of glass buried in the sands of devastated beaches.
The earth is breaking all around us and my question to you is what are you doing to mend it?

"Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?"
Martin Luther King, Jr

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

new look?

Unknown said...

yeah, and it's not working so well. do you like it?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Stace- and I also think we need help here at home too. Heard you were trekking with Nicole....I wish you both good luck.LOVE YOU ABBS

Emma said...

definitely a good question by MLK. i just put an MLK quote on my banner! haha. we are destined to be friends- i mean, heck, we both are adored by liz, we love MLK, monks, street kids, the world, hey and didn't we watch brokedown palace together or am i confused? anyway, i'm glad we are both bloggers too... my email is: ariyaskye@aol.com

Emma said...

definitely a good question by MLK. i just put an MLK quote on my banner! haha. we are destined to be friends- i mean, heck, we both are adored by liz, we love MLK, monks, street kids, the world, hey and didn't we watch brokedown palace together or am i confused? anyway, i'm glad we are both bloggers too... my email is: ariyaskye@aol.com

Anonymous said...

MT...Liked the Faulkner quote. Gandhi

julie said...

we're ok here, but i asked myself the same thing...what is happening in south asia?