Tuesday, 04 October 2005

I'm encouraged!

So many of you have recently emailed me about the Uganda blog a few days ago. Your support and common interest in the betterment of mankind is so encouraging. God is clearly moving in the lives and hearts of his people, and I"m thankful for those of you who are connecting with me in that way.

To Andrew and April Crouch, thank you for loving Africa and trying to find a way to show that. You have done something remarkable in the short time you have been married. You've shown me two people who are knit together for the common good.

To Sarah Bedenbaugh/Jenkins and her family over on the East Coast, thank you for your kind words and your email about the work in Liberia. I'm encouraged by the work of our forefathers around the world. You've inspired me to dig deeper into those interests I have and to share what I"m learning. And thanks for the 50 pound package a few years ago!!!

To Gandyland, who triumphed over the dark forces of poorness and found a way to move to Moldova. God's rallying his troops for that land. Way to join in!!!

To Liz down in law school in Texas. So let me get this right? You're a second year law student who is already debating cases, you just got trained to be a Red Cross chaplain, you spent the summer working in a law firm in India, you did Disaster Relief work...and you have a boy treating you like poop? Do I or anyone else need to tell you what to do with him? You are amazing and I love you and admire you more than I can express. You deserve the best.

To my sweet monk father in Asia who emailed me today to say he's unhappily miserable in Asia today and wants out. That he seeks peace through himself while I seek it through God, and he's not finding it. Oh how I love you. If I could get on a plane this second I'd do it. My heart feels like its tearing apart all over again at the thought of not seeing you in a month. I"m so sorry. I pray for you every second. God has found you, my friend.

To Amy Bryant and her little man down in Birmingham. Thank you for the great tour of your hometown today. For encouraging me through your questions, through promoting Beeson Divinity School, through your husband's Africa reflections, and through your constant encouragement of me as a woman of the Lord. I love you and your family.

To Arley, who let me sleep in her bed last night while the night thief robbed us of a "real night". It was a fake, plastic night. Thank you for spilling the contents of your heart. FOr your creative talents that you are now using to brighten the world. "This", too, shall pass and you will be able to express it through that talent. I love you Arley Warley.

And to your boy Seth. Thanks for dinner...again. And the honey mustard. And the hippy night looking at stars and for loving your girlfriend so flippin' much in front of me that you give me hope for that in my own life, or just hope. You are awesome and whatever real job you do or don't get doesn't matter in comparison to the light you are in the off hours. You don't need to know how bright you shine, b/c you wouldn't believe it anyways. And it's not in the ways you think. To you, I know that is refreshing.

To Amy Jacobs, who feeds me Cracker Barrel and pumps me full of coffee, then let's me sit back and do what I love to do most--listen to her heart. It's an honor, really. You are a strong lady.

To Kristin Bedi...thanks for chili and cookies. For so much laughter that my sides hurt. For your sweet, innocent spirit that reminds me of days when life was way easier and quaint. Thanks for your parents and their work, your sister and her work, and you and your work...both now and in the future. You will go to India!

To AmyJo Girearererrrrrr, for pursuing a friendship and allowing me to be a fast talker and a new favorite. Back at ya. Thanks for working with those younguns and for making as their model--Christ and those who followed him.

This has become a thank you list, which was not the original intent. But that's ok. It's ok because life is good today. Lynrd Skynrd made me smile as I drove home from Alabama this evening. Sweet Home Alabama, or Tennessee, or wherever. It's all sweet. And it's home. Today that was more than enough for my heart. It was a wonderful day from God of a new adventure, of forgiving others and remembering the past in a new way...a healthy way. Clarity keeps coming in it's quiet ways and I'm just taking it all in.
And even tonight as my heart felt like it was ripping out of my chest as I talked to my parents about Burma, and the streets and the faces and the places and the things going on and all that I am not going back to be a part of...even when that felt like Chinese water torture and I nearly hijacked a plane to Asia ( a oneway one), I still feel ok. Peace hasn't left me. The cloud hasn't moved.

Thank you, Supreme Cloud. Thank you for this life. And for whatever it is or is not...those things you protect me from that I don't even know about. Thank you.

Happy Birthday Gretchen!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your title. I am glad you are encouraged. Your heart is like an anchor, Ashley. It comes up when its time to move and when it settles in the water it starts to create these "barnicles" of stories and feelings and then they all stick. (terrible analogy) It weighs you down and then lifts and moves on. I hope this anchor of Burma stays and sways in a positive way with you, my dear. I will see you soon enough. ABBYYYYYYYYYYY

Anonymous said...

ASh- I think you were a bit mistaken about a boy treating me like poop... Quite the opposite really, just too many wanting to date me at once. It's overload for this naive Baylor girl!

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »