Wednesday, 11 January 2006

my little friend is moving away.


This was my best non-american friend in Myanmar. I guess he still is. I've told you about him before. About how our connection transcends language and culture and goes straight from one heart to the other. Seriously, this man CAN read my mind. He knows my facial expressions better than I do. He understands sarcasm, a rarity for most foreigners.
He is so kindhearted. He is so generous. He is SO loyal. He's SO stubborn, which is why we got along! He demands consistency and loyalty in friendships. He taught me more about spiritual discipline and sacrifice and living a life devoted to your beliefs than except my dad, I think.
I have told you before I'd give my life for this man to know God. And I mean that. Just sitting here now, having not seen him in almost a year, my heart starts breaking for him again and again. It hurts, physically hurts, to think of not being with him in eternity.
One night a few years back I had a dream about him. I dreamed I was in heaven. And I remember it so vividly. I was there, and God was there, and that was all I knew. And I asked God if my friend, seen above, was there too. And I heard God say "yes, my child. He is here."
I woke up crying. I hold on to this most days. I believe God. I believe that my friend will be there. And that means a whole lot for a whole lot of people. That means a whole lot of other people will be there too! And that is so exciting.

SO, he's moving to Sri Lanka in like 3 days, according to my dear friend in Myanmar. Please pray for him as he leaves his country for a long time to live abroad. Rumor has it that his first plan upon arriving in Sri Lanka is to buy a phone to call me with!!! God opens another door. He just doesn't give up on those lost sheep.

3 comments:

Emma said...

ashley-
i love your heart so much. really. it's rare. and... you made me excited bc if all goes accodring to plan...I myself will be seeing a monk in about 10 days :)...

Anonymous said...

I think it's a good thing that he's going to Sri Lanka. They're better off there. More freedom, more access to the outside world, more opportunities to know Truth. Tell him to stop by the Shan/Burmese monastery where I stocked up the library.

Anonymous said...

What a great site »