Wednesday, 25 January 2006

this is me ice climbing.

meet chris.

chris worked with me at it's a grind, until he moved to boulder last month. chris is one of the reasons i thank God for keeping me home a few more months. if i had moved to myanmar, i'd missed the chance at knowing this guy. chris is pretty dang cool. he's the only ice climber i know, which makes him really good in my mind, but i think he's really good in a lot of people's minds too. he's devoted lots of time and money to this passion in his life.
so, this past weekend i went to colorado and wyoming to visit some friends, one of which was chris. as part of our fun, we went ice climbing in estes park.

here's me. weapons strapped to my hands and feet, a helmet haphazardly attached to my head (my head was not made for helmets), and a lot of warm clothes on my body. climbing up a wall of ice.


here's me trying to start an avalanche. as chris said, the caption for this photo should be "before the accident." it looks like that those fangs of ice above me are about to devour me where i stand.


round 2. it was so thrilling. i just wish i had stronger arms.


the expert. this was like a sleep walk climb for chris, i'm sure. but he let me enjoy it and was quite the encourager. we celebrated with a mexican dinner and a drive to cheyenne. nothing says "victory" like a boring interstate drive to wyoming. luckily, some of my greatest friends live in cheyenne, and we had a really good time catching up and cruising cheyenne.


and here' me when i finally realized that my hands were NUMB. it was like 10 degrees. note to all you future ice climbers: if your hands loose all feeling, stick them in the clothed armpits of a more warm-blooded person. it'll warm you right up!


thanks to blake swanson for the free flights. thanks to kevin for the motivation to go. thanks to chris for the ice climing, the yummy curry that made me sick, the multiple layers of clothes, and the meaningful conversations. thanks to olivia and kai for a thrilling day in wyoming and an afternoon drive to ft. collins.

more on the concert soon. i'm downloading all the photos. you won't believe how much fun we had!!!

5 comments:

Richard D. Jenkins said...

Douglas had that same look on his face when we tried putting mittens on him. However, I think he was confused about why his fingers disappeared!

Anonymous said...

You made my whole life just thinking about Estes Park. I LOVE that place. Seriously. It's so great. Everytime of year. Anyway... Thanks for the eye-candy.
You know the funniest thing about Boulder (there are a lot)?
You can't legally "own" a dog.... because dogs have rights- and things with rights cannot be owned... so... you can only be a "guardian" of a dog.
random tidbit about my homeland :)

Unknown said...

yay robin. my fun and hilarious new friend. welcome to blogger. we'll help you be cool. thanks for this!
ps--you are one of the coolest people i know.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Over-the-counter allegra d sa medical cellulite nikita denise jenna jameson safe sofa Free fun play slot machine games http://www.waterbed-1.info/botox-injection-vancouver.html

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »