Thursday, 16 February 2006

ashley in africa after all.

Let me start this by saying that i'm having serious trouble getting to the blog webpage. I'm not sure what the deal is, and it's frustrating because I know there are lots of you wanting to read updates. Please just know I'm trying and I will give it a hearty attempt whenever I'm online, which is once a day if I'm lucky. This will change as I settle. I forget it's only my second day here! Feels like a lot longer than that.

Yesterday was quite a blessed day. I got a cell phone, some groceries, and a car was loaned to us by nightfall! We had been praying throughout the day for a car, and at dinner our boss called to say we could use his after all! And then this morning a woman emailed us to say she'd sell us her car for about $3,600. I'm really praying about what car to purchase. I know now that i need one, but I don't want to choose it out of impatience. And yet, by next week, we'll all need to be going our separate ways and it will be hard to figure out for everyone if we don't have our own method of transportation. John Thomas informed me that I'd need a car, aand I don't want to inconvenience anyone by not getting one. So please pray for this with me!

My trip over to Africa was fine. I slept at least half of the 18 hour flight from Atlanta to Joburg. Then the flight on to Cape Town was pure adrenaline. As we crossed over the mountains peaks and cirlced back to the airport over the joining of the Indian and Atlantic oceans, my heart soared with joy. i couldn't believe i was finally here. A place I've longed to see for 2 years now. It really did feel like a homecoming. It was surreal. And the peace has withstood all kinds of overwhelming moments and times when i was going into information overload. however, the move has completely murdered my anti-coffee campaign I left the states with. Today I am enjoying a nice big cup of brewed black coffee and foreseeing a return to my old habit. it's a comfort from home I feel entitled to!

Today the 2 roommates and I took a walk down to the church to check our email. it was a lovely walk, minus pat falling and nearly rolling down the mountain we were trekking across. It freaked me out, all I heard was a thud. She's fine, but learning to keep her eyes on her feet, not the passing traffic.

The land is gorgeous. The flowers are vibrant. The air is clean. The sky is blue. The people are delightful. And after a trip to the mall i was unaware of yesterday, I found that life here is much different from life in Asia. It warms my heart to see the diversity of our world. I long to know more about this place. I find myself drawn to being educated about it, and to being unafraid to look foolish as I experience it for myself.

I'm very blessed and I thank all of you for your contributions and emails. It's so comforting to feel this loved. It's a gift most of hte world doesn't have. Thank you for enabling me to pass your love along to those in need.

oh, and i apparently left my camera cord (along with lots of other things!) at home, so no pictures for a while. I'm so bummed about this. I'll do what i can.

love to you all!!!

4 comments:

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Ashley, I heard this song and thought of you; we'll call it a long distance dedication (on steroids!). Go to http://www.myspace.com/thechoirspace and click on the song "She's Alright" if/when you get a chance (blog-readers are encouraged to do the same).

"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

--Ephesians 3:14-21

Unknown said...

Praying for your car now sister! God has got it full of fuel and detailed for you. I was excited to hear about you HIKE to the church! May many more follow!

Emma said...

yay. we are SOOOOOO happy you finally gave us the low-down (or down-low.. i never know which it is).

We love you.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »