Thursday, 04 May 2006

apartheid hangover--may 3, 2006.

that's what i like to call the following observation from my 3rd apartment hunt since moving to Africa. that's right, i'm moving AGAIN. here is your first installment of apartheid hangover:

There are 4 real estate offices in Muizenberg that I know of. 3 on Main Road, 1 in the circle by the beach.
OFFICE #1: bleach-blonde, cracked out, 70 year old retired surfer dude--
"are those boys with you?" he points at nieltjie standing in the doorway, and russie chasing a flock of seagulls in the parking lot.

OFFICE #2: sterile office, elderly woman with drawn-on face, young man with fresh cup of coffee & too many faulty stereotypes--
"your friends CANNOT come in. watch out for them. they are dangerous."

OFFICE #3: lady who won't even open the barred door.
Dirty scowl, as Russie uses my arms and torse as a human jungle gym. "no, we have nothing available."

OFFICE #4: elderly couple.
"are you walking with these boys?" nieltjie whispers, "ashley stay outside with us." old lady grabs my wrist and pulls forcefully, thinking the dirty black kid is going for my neck. russie screams "go in. it's fine."
"ma'am. i'm just goint to sit outisde with my friends while oyu talk to her (melissa)." i try to walk away.
"no, you will come in." yanks my arm again. "these boys are naughty. you don't know how they are. they will steal everything from you."
i look down at russie holding melissa's purse, and nieltjie holding my cell phone. "I think we'll be fine", i say with a forced smile.

I sit on the curb. russie grabs a brick and teases the lady through the window. ricky and nieltjie sit down next to me, russie climbs on my back like a monkey.
"they are just like all the other white people who hate us", ricky says.

the 3 kids look in my eyes, and i look back. we all remember the obvious.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am getting to it soon, I have an email to write this weekend to you and I will make sure I get you on my update list..

AJ

Anonymous said...

i am glad they can see the difference in your love for them.

Emma said...

just dirty little disposable street kids, dime a dozen, all the same- jacking your things, bad, bad, bad kids.

I am glad they have someone in their lives that doesn't put them in this box.

I get to see my guys soon too! Yay. reading your blog makes me so happy and reminds me of that life. I love ya, friend.

Richard D. Jenkins said...

How can we say that we love God, who we cannot see, and not love flesh and bone and blood that is before our eyes?

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
Cheap lexmark printer cartridge Ultimate forex technical indicator Clot vs cellulitis leather jacket vancouver