Thursday, 11 May 2006

"Your dad is AMAZING Ashley lovell, don’t forget that."

jennifer said this about my dad in an email to me today. how appropriate it is to read such words on his 58th birthday. so appropriate that i thought i'd let you all know how great he is as well.

many years ago, my dad scribbled out a list of his top 10 favorite things about me, and taped it to the mirror of the bathroom one morning. i'd like to use this blog as my mirror to my father, so that we can all read the list i'm taping up for him today.

1-completely in love with God's word, so much so that he forsakes sleep, waking up and setting out to be with God for the first 90 minutes of everyday. he's literally done this as long as i can remember.
2-forgiveness. he practices it. he taught me the importance of it, of dealing with the emotions you feel but forgiving the person whose behavior inflicted them upon you.
3-health. he's a healthy man, almost disgustingly so. he's athletic and fit and motivated to stay that way.
4-the infamous disease. he talks to EVERYONE. it was so annoying as a kid, but apparently it's hereditary. he loves connecting with people.
5-boldness. he says exactly what he thinks, and it's always biblically based, due to #1. he's not afraid of people rejecting him for his words of truth.
6-humor. oh my gosh. i laugh more with this man than any other person i know. he's like a kid sometimes.
7-new-found sense of adventure. after his escapades in northeast burma, peeing in jungles (he's never admit to that), riding in rickety ski boats through asian rivers, and playing baseball with buddhist monks, he's seen that there's alot more to life than numbers and desk jobs.
8-goals. he sets them and taught me to do the same. he showed me that goals create a sense of acheivement, which fosters a healthy self-image.
9-prayerfulness. this man prays for you if you even slightly suggest needing it. even if you have a certain look on your face, he'll approach you at church, at the Y, outside in a heavy rain. prayer is more important than anything else to him.
10-he's one of my best friends. because of all these other things. and because he's just starting life, really.

happy birthday dad. i love you and miss you and will see you soon.

6 comments:

Richard D. Jenkins said...

Happy Birthday Bill!!!! I have to thank you for being such an incredible "Nashville Dad" to me for all those many years and for understanding that sometimes no matter how hard you tried to understand what I was going through - Carol was who I really needed at the moment! I love you!!!!

Richard D. Jenkins said...

Peeing in the jungle is better than peeing in the rickety ski boat in an Asain river. Just a little birthday wisdom for you...Happy Birthday, Bill.

Scott said...

Bill,
remember that time you didn't want to teach the senior guys sunday school class, but God did and sent Susan Rutledge to tell you that? I remember it because that was a great year in sunday school. Wait, is this Ashley's blog or her dad's?

kw said...

You left out the fact that he is extremely handsome. I have a crush on him. (Dennis knows this.)

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
I know your dad from the YMCA and I never thought I would meet someone that would like to talk more than I do. He is truly a great guy and on many occasions has given me that little extra push to keep me going on the treadmill. He loves you unconditionally and speaks glowingly of you every time I see him. You are a very lucky girl to have such wonderful parents! It looks as if your family shares a beautiful gift from God. The ability to spread his word in a very elegant way.

Teresa Glasgow

Juan Portela said...

Ashley -

I am going to immediately go and do what your dad did for you to my own 10-year-old, Sydney. She's fast approaching that age where affirmation is so, so important. I'm really glad I stumbled on this particular post tonight.

God bless you - hope to see you again very soon.