Tuesday, 27 September 2005

Hello, my name is Simon.


This is my friend Simon. He works at a Buddhist orphanage in Malawi, Africa. He was a Buddhist monk in Myanmar, and I met him when I used to teach his friends at their monastery. Simon and I had really long conversations about life and the world and God. Every tuesday I would go to his monastery and he would teach me how to play chess while we listened to Bob Marley cds. We would cook vegetarian meals together and we'd get lots of cups of coffee together.
He loved me very much. He is like my brother and he always treated me like a sister. Even to this day he calls me sister in emails.
About 10 months into my time there, Simon got sad. He stopped being a monk and we went shopping for normal clothes, not monk robes. He ate dinner with me every night and we'd sit around watching Lauryn Hill concerts.

I love this man so much. He is priceless. He loves the Bible. He was named after Simon Peter. His mom was a Christian.
When I found his picture on the website (www.whfm.org), I cried. He is trying to get involved with the blood:water mission work in Malawi. He's got the biggest heart in Africa.