Tuesday, 13 September 2005

Old Blind Dogs bring sight to my eyes


Last night myself and 4 friends all drove down to D.C. for an Old Blind Dogs concert. It was held at Jammin' Java coffee shop, almost as bad a name as the Elbow's maiden name--the one that I refuse to say.
We had a blast. Amanda was there, but she's not in the picture below. The music was incredible. If you don't know the Old Blind Dogs, please find a way to hear them. They are so talented. Originally from Scotland, their music includes pipes of all sorts, a bass and acoustic guitar, fiddle and violin, harmonica, turkish drum and jimbay, cymbals, etc etc etc on the drums (see below). An article written about the event said "An enthusiastic audience made it a fun night for the boys..." Probably all those giddy Jesus girls in the crowd, bopping up and down to each song.

If there's one thing I love without end, it's live music. I've kept a varied musical interest most of my life, and it's always so fun to go with a group of friends to a live show. With my soy latte in hand last night, in the dead middle of 4 amazing friends, I couldn't have been happier.

I naturally started thinking about Christ (don't we all when are hanging out with talented, intoxicated Scottish artists?!). There was a "J" emblem on the wall behind the band and I used that to really focus on the presence of Jesus. I imagined him there with us, clapping or closing his eyes. I really did. I think he would have loved it. The reason I think this is because of what God revealed to my own heart last night: Christ was "with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made (John 1:2-3). "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible...He is before all things and in him all things hold together" (Colossians 1:15-17). "For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen. (Romans 11:36).

Christ is the Great Composer, the Leader of the Orchestra, the Symphony Conductor, the Master of all Music. He created music. He created song. He created fingers and lips that make instruments work. He designed the minds that designed the violin, the guitar, the percussion. He authored thoughts about treble clefs and bass notes and pitch and tone and range and half notes and quarter notes and whole notes and staffs and melodies. He is in all these and BY HIM they hold together. If he wanted, he could silence these instruments, these minds, these magical fingers that we praise and covet.Christ was most definately there last night, enjoying his creation, leading me to pray that one day it would praise HIM rather than a bottle of whiskey or a historical victory for Scotland.

Later today I was sitting at lunch with one of the girls who went. She started sharing how God had finally broken her heart last night for someone: the Old Blind Dogs. She said all she thought about was how they didn't know what she knew and she knew Christ wanted to have their lives and talents much like he has her own. She said, "Ashley I don't usually think about that. I don't usually feel heartbroken if someone doesn't know Christ. But last night I did. And i realized, if I love and care for someone or something, I want that person or thing to be intertwined with Jesus." God was most definately there. And as you can see, He authors thoughts in our heads that lead us to think of Him. Last night he did this to both me and my friend at the same time!!

So we concluded that relationships are one key way God works in our day. Through knowing someone, we come to love them. And through loving them, we desire them to know God. It's not in-your-face and it's not hellfire talk, it's just the witness of Jesus and his importance from one sinner to another. It was a cool revelation!!!

Go dance the jig with your grandmother!!!
(www.oldblinddogs.co.uk)

2 comments:

Christina Herman said...

Ashley Lovell, You're so great!! I love you girl and love to hear what's going on in your head! You're an awesome girl for Christ! I'm so sure that you bring joy to His heart! I love you girl!!

gandyland

Anonymous said...

i officially diagnose you as GREAT my friend! i love you and know that your blog helped me escape from my office without leaving my chair for lunch today! your words are always so poignant and thought provoking where i say yes, yes outloud to myself as i read them.