Saturday, 26 November 2005

the intolerable thirst of the suffering.

Define suffering.
Is it always unjust?
Why does suffering exist?

We hear statistics, of which I searched all day long--planning to list them out for you. I wanted the shock factor to dominate the introduction to this blog. But after about an hour on the internet, reading story after story, surfing from website to webiste, i realized how numbing statistics are. They are way over our heads. So I left them out.

Here are some of the websites I visited today, if you are interested. The last one is a video that actually really annoys me, but it's worth seeing:
international justice mission
amnesty international
jubilee debt campaign
ONE campaign video

and just for fun: good ole' cs

Back to my questions. Why does God allow suffering? I ask this everyday. Why do squatter women with no real means of attaining their own building/home in certain Southeast Asian countires live under the fear of a government that tramps through the countryside looking for someone to prey upon?
Why are the death tolls of women in Guatemala between January and November of this year in the 500 range?
Why do girls in Thailand complacently sell their bodies to faceless monsters for a small fee?
Why are children in India bonded laborers for 50 cent debts incurred through medical bills from their sisters near death experience after being brutally raped?
Why did 98% of Achenese residents in certain parts of Sumatra die when the tsunami hit?
Why are Moldovan orphans sold to Italy, Germany, the U.S., and other countries in a business that contributes to the $9.5 BILLION generated in annual revenue from human trafficking?

What is suffering? Is it always unjust? What is the purpose of coerced pain?

I want to know how God can sit and watch generations, billions of years of countless moments of injustice. I want to know, because it's real. It is real, maybe not in my world. But this stuff happens, and I want to know how God can just allow it. I'd love your thoughts, and don't be afraid to say something "wrong".

As Americans, we don't know much about injustice. We just don't. It's not our faults, really. I mean, we cannot control where we are born and raised, the family we acquire, the environment around us. We are creatures destined for a certain upbrining. But there comes an age in life when we have to start accepting responsiblity for our ignorance. That age, for any of us reading (or writing) this, has come.

So welcome to the wake up. This is it. This is my attempt to awaken myself from my sleep. From my "Can you believe the AIDS problem in Africa? Now, let's go eat some chicken" existence. As I've said before, this is not the way the rest of the world lives.

So, God. How do you allow this? Clearly you are omnipotent. Clearly you've seen it all, from the first to the last cry from the pits of unjust suffering. If it pisses me off to read one story in one book about one kid suffering like this, how do you, being God and all you claim to be, allow this?

I'd like to say I found the answer in the Bible. And I"m sure it is there. But today, when I was asking this question, I found that I'd left my Bible at It's a Grind. I have others, but they are hard to navigate. They are not MY bible, where things are marked and stamped and highlighted and tabbed.
So I turned to Gary Haugen, president of International Justice Mission. I'm in the dead middle of his book "Good News About Injustice." Seemed like a good place to look.

Seriously, God is awesome. And he answered my questions. PLEASE read this and see the answer, at least the answer I am completely able to accept.
Haugen's outline: 1) we don't know the secrets of God. We know in part.
Deuteronomy 29:29 'There are things hidden, and they belong to the LORD our God, but what is revealed belongs to us and our children for ever; it is for us to observe all that is prescribed in this law.' (new english bible)

2) (this is the answer) we remember the cross.
John Stott said it right: "I could never myself believe in a God, if it were not for the cross. The only God I believe in is the One Nietzsche ridiculed as "God on the cross". In a real world of pain, how could one worship a God who was immune to it? I have entered many Buddhist temples in different Asian countries and stood respectfully before the stature of Buddha, his legs crossed, arms folded, eyes closed, the ghost of a smile playing round his mouth, a remote look on his face, detached from the agonies of the world. But each time after a while I have had to turn away. And in imagination I have turned instead to that lonely, twisted, tortured figure on the cross, nails through hands and feet, back lacerated, limbs wrenched, brow bleeding from thorn pricks, mouth dry and intolerably thirsty, plunged in God-forsaken darkness. That is the God for me! He laid aside his immunity to pain. He entered our world of flesh and blood, tears and death. He suffered for us. Our suffering became more manageable in light of his. There is still a question mark against human suffering, but over it we boldly stamp another mark, the cross which symbolizes divine suffering. "The cross of Christ...is God's only self-justification in a world such as ours."

Haugen responds, and this is SO good: "So when at times I flippantly challenge the Almighty as to why he allows horrendous suffering, I am pulled up in a shudder of humility as I recall that there is no measure of his creation's suffering that he has not been willing to bear himself."

AH!--as Joshua would say. God, that is good. Literally, "God, that is good."
This perspective is so obvious, I guess, but I never thought of it. That the suffering of Christ, the real unjust suffering inflicted upon one man for the sins of all who've lived and died and suffered and inflicted suffering, inclusively covers every form of suffering. And, if you believe in anything God says to us, then you believe EVERYTHING God says to us, which leaves you believing that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and died for us.

Gimme some comments. If you made it this far!
"god whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our painL it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." --my boy jack

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lord's loved ones are precious to him; it grieves him when they die. O Lord, I am your servant; yes, I am your servant, the son of your handmaiden, and you have freed me from my bonds. I will offer you a sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the Lord. Psalm 116:15-17

Emma said...

You know, the One campaign, the Live 8.... it all annoys me. really annoys me. even the concept of relieving african countries from debt annoys me.... propping up corrupt governments so they can do nothing more than be corrupt, do more opressive acts, etc etc etc... just because it sounds nice to say 'let's relieve debt- it's the christian thing to do'. no. in some cases that might be the thing to do- but definitely not in all. as the saying goes 'some things are too good to be true.' okay that's off the subject of justice, but not really. but, yeah that video annoys me everytime i see it.

i wish i had my textbook here bc there was a karl marx quote (don't be scared) that basically says something to the effect that (rich) people like to 'fight injustice' only to a point- but not to the point of making real change- which will mean real sacrifice of the west...all those sweat shops, that money involved in human trafficking, etc etc etc...
but praise God that He is the ultimate lover of justice... sometimes it is hard to realize in spite of the world's problems that no matter how much we think we love justice- God loves it even more.

Anonymous said...

MT..."For the poor you have with you always; but you do not always have me. For when she poured this perfume upon My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial." Mt 26:11,12
Maybe suffering, like the poor, is a part of the human condition that will remain until Jesus' return. If so, the real question is not 'Why is there suffering?' but 'What is my response to suffering?' Does it move me or does it simply amuse me...only being fodder for philosophical debate. The woman dispensing the perfume upon Jesus was responding to His forthcoming suffering. Jesus celebrated her response. She had done well. She was a good and faithful servant... even though her actions did not prevent His death.
Also like the Good Samaritan, the object wasn't 'Why did God allow the poor man to be beaten up and robbed?' but rather 'Which subsequent traveler feared God and obeyed God'.
My point/answer/reconciliation to suffering is that God allows it to exist to demonstrate to Him, but primarily to ourselves, just what type of people we are/what type soul we possess.
God has already said what awaits the perpetrators of suffering. The only unknown is what awaits we who fail to push against it in some fashion yet claim to be His disciples. However, Mt 25:31-46 may have something to say even about that. Gandhi

Richard D. Jenkins said...

Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither (Lewis) I really liked this quote...So, I guess the question is..."What am I aiming for?" Buechner describes the ultimate suffering of Christ, on our behalf, in the best way that I can grasp. I find myself reflecting on his 3 word summation...The Magnificant Defeat.
Somehow...there is even glory in pain.

Unknown said...

em,

with you on being annoyed by trendy campaigns. but i like bono alot, so i appreciate the education he's trying to provide to hollywood's informationally empty places.
and believe me, i appreciate your marxist tendencies. i'm not going to argue you on them one bit. i actually know a guy who comes to my coffee shop who just got a hammer and a sickle tattooed on his shoulder. so there you go, your future husband here at my coffee shop.

love you girl!
ash

Anonymous said...

"no matter how much we think we love justice- God loves it even more." so true emma.

Anonymous said...

i get annoyed that I saw Paris Hilton in one of the ads for AIDS in Africa. Come on ,now.

Emma said...

yeah, i like bono too because i think he has shown a lifetime of commitment- his life and his words are compatible... and maybe some others as well, but on the whole.... i'm just not buying it.

Unknown said...

em
your "on the whole" might include paris hilton, yeah? what the crap is that?

Anonymous said...

Might I add something even funnier- Paris Hilton was very involved in the Rock the Vote and Vote or Die campaigns this past election, and never showed up to vote.! Now that's what I call dedication! HAHAHA ( useless info for you to laugh at) LOVE ABBS

Anonymous said...

Ash, you need to read the book of Habbakuk, who had this very conversation with God. "Why do you make me look at injustice? How long will you do nothing?"

And God said, "What makes you think I'm doing nothing? Wait for it."

Emma said...

Yah... Paris... and just the whole concept of living these hi-speed lives of fashion and whatnot and then saying, 'give to the poor even though i regularly spend $1000 on a purse'. it's just too weird for me. hello, you are the wealth distribution gap that we are trying to solve. talk all you want about governments giving more aid- but put your money where your mouth is. and when a celebrity drops $50,000 - it's what? 2% of their annual income?
it reminds me of "Diamonds are Forever"- the Kanye West stupidest video of all time. 1. the lyrics are about Kanye's self-glorification...this pertains to blood diamonds how? 2. he rolls around in a $500,000 car in between images of these child labourers- that takes guts.
don't get me started about Kanye. Diamonds, Golddigger and Jesus Walks all by the same man... now there is consistency for ya.

ps- tell the tattooed customer i'm single- but i don't like diamonds. haha just kidding.

Emma said...

pss- (or is it pps- i don't know).... wait, were you shopping for beanies or the Thai King?

Unknown said...

em,
the thai king. the felt ones with little balls on top.

crutch,
i've been reading and rereading hab. since september. i just reread it last night. it's so good,and i'm learning alot about the world through it. it's actually the final blow god gave to tell me not to go to burma. ironic?

Anonymous said...

ASh and Em- I just about wanted to disown America (for the Nth time) as I was casually watching VH1 and their special on the "In-Girls" all the rich and beautiful teen and young celebrities like Paris and Lindsay Lohan. I was amazed and sickened to learn that these "beauties" spend $20,000/month to look that "beautiful". Some of those girls drop as much as $4000/day on their make-up artist alone.

Fortune magazine or something once had a list of top donating philantropists. Bill GAtes was at the top of the list. I was just having this conversation with a law school friend about how it's no wonder people like Oprah and Bill GAtes are top givers. They are the frickin richest people in the world. What is it to them to give a million bucks or to give an entire audience a car? Is their standard of living changed by such charity? It is only when we sacrifice our comfort or standard of living to give that we are changed by the giving.

Jimmy Dorrell once said (paraphrase) that we tend to give from our plenty, but Christ calls us to give sacrificially, not something extra, but something of value to us.

Emma said...

Bill Gates is richer than many countries... and.... I don't think oprah paid for those cars I think it was advertisement by whatever company those cars were.

i am laughing that the thai king went to siam to buy beanies. can't he have someone make those special order?!

Unknown said...

felt beanies are hard to find. maybe i should go into that business. i know how to sew. all that hassle for a beanie, i could save the thai king a lot of time and energy. hilarious! me employed by the thai king to make beanies!

liz, i want to walk up to people with fake bodies and fake hair and fake faces and start singing radiohead to them: "fake plastic girl." and then i want to touch their skin to see if they even respond, if they have any sensors left in their skin. or if they are even real at all, or just a wax person.

Unknown said...

ok, i just tried to watch that stupid stupid stupid ONE video again.
i'm more annoyed now than ever. i'm like literally feeling the blood pump through my arms and leges, i'm so annoyed.
any ONE of those faces represent a bank account busting at the seams with empty money, a drop of which could pay off a country's debt...the very poverty these sweet little hollywood faces are trying to eradicate.

ughhhhhhhhh. can i please never be in the same room with these people.

i sound so self-righteous, and i'm annoying myself now. so i'll stop writing.

yucky.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP 5 mg buspirone what do they look like buspirone weight Symantec 200 software Plotter blade gerber envision