Saturday, 12 November 2005

It's all in Love.

Ok, so I am back from Louisiana. I had a really good time down there. My team was totally great, so many willing and hard working and totally hilarious people. I don't really know how to articulate what I saw, or to make any big profound God revelations from it. It always feels like a dream.
One thing I realized last night while at dinner with Arley is that it is getting harder and harder to return to this place after I have been on a mission trip. I know it's a common feeling, but my emotions when I get home are all out of wack. I go through this depression phase where I just want to be angry. I go through this "simplistic" phase where I gather all my excess belongings and haul them off to Good will or I have a yard sale. I have this lonely phase where I just want someone to do this work with, and I think alot about love and loss. It's really a good thing for me to go throught these cycles, although to the reader they might sound slightly masochistic, which it is, but it's for a good cause. It's for a God cause. The older I get, the less I despise suffering. It's actually a major part of life, we just forget that in the temporal pleasures of this world. I guess my point is I don't get pleasure much at all from this world anymore. Not much at all. And to me, that's Biblical and that's the Holy Spirit in my life.

Over the past few years, God has said some really specific things to me. Like, "Develop your prayer life." or "Simplify your living." or "Get in shape." or "Don't date anyone." or more recently, "Write down my revelations. Wait for my timing. Something has been lingering for a long time, but now that you are not going to Asia, it's going to come without delay. Look at the nations and observe. Be amazed." So now, now that I've either not done what he said or done what he said not to do, I"m being forced into these things and that's caused some suffering. But the supreme joy that comes from being so unfailingly loved by my maker, by being pursued by him, by being believed in and held to a higher standard by him---it's worth every drop of pain that lands in my self-created bottle of suffering. It didn't have to be this hard, I just always opt for the field trip over the text book.

I get really pissed off these days by nominal christians. People who talk about God, or who pretend to be all close and loyal to him, people who put on that front when it serves their purposes. I get so frustrated and jealous on God's behalf by this excessiveness, this hoarding of things for one's personal gain, this fear of failure and fear of being in want. I want to scream at the top of my lungs, "You have no bleepin' idea what joy you are trading in for happiness, what peace you are trading in for comfort, what life you are trading in for maintenance, what freedom you are trading in for invisible shackels, what beauty you are trading in for lust, what shock and awe you are trading in for control." Do you understand the power of our God? Do you see that he can stop storms but hasn't lately? Do you recognize that he could intercede on your behalf alot more if you'd let him? Everything you own could be gone in a second. A gust of wind after hurricane Katrina knocked down trees and road signs 200 miles from the coast. Entire houses were emptied out into the neighbors yards. Newspapers from 10miles away were flying around the in the trees. HUGE pine trees bigger than our materialistic Christmas celebrations severed houses, families, lives. Death came without delay. And all that stuff means nothing now.

Just think what difference we could make. If we didn't buy that expensive car or that debt-laden house or that shopping spree for clothes we don't need. Did you know that countries in Africa are so deep in debt to America that they are financially enslaved to us until Christ returns? And that there are 40 million kids in the world waiting for adoption? And that 1 in 4 people in South Africa is infected with HIV? And that girls in Asia sell their bodies 10 times a night just to have money to survive? And that small children in India are getting 75 cents a week for rolling an unattainble quota of ciggarettes for our addictions to continue? And that we live and breathe and move freely in a society that on other country in the world experiences?

I'm angry about all this. It's not reality. The way we live is not reality. IF you are still even reading this, you probably think i"m condemning you and excluding myself from the path of these pointed fingers. I'm not. I have always loved stuff...but God's breaking me of that. I've always loved being loved...but God's showing me the failure of human love regardless of how ordained it is for our lives. I have always been insecure about my future...but God's enlarging my territory and dwindling my resources---all just to prove that it's not about me. It's not about how I look or appear to live or think I am. It's about him. It's ALL about him. DO you know what that means? My gosh, it should silence you.

I'll talk about Louisiana in a few days. I'm waiting for my pictures and i want to scan them and upload them so you can see me with a chainsaw! Until then, enjoy my cries for justice and my pleas for awakening! It's all in love.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud ot say that I have read this first. I am also happy to say that I read the whole thing- as i always do- and agree with you. Although the point of you writing htis was not FOR me to agree or disagree- I do. I often feel a nominal Christian. There. I said it. Outloud. I do. Not because I WANT THINGS- or act like I am some bible thrower- but because I fear trust often. Trust that has been broken before in my life. ( I can't believe I am writing this on your comments for people to see-but what the hell). HOWEVER- my confidence in trust has been renewed in my fatih in my marraige - and family. Why is it so hard to trust what we cannot see? I am really working on this- and your blog could'nt have better timing ASHLEY-AS everything in your life does. Perfect timing. I love you- and hope noone judges me for this post.

Richard D. Jenkins said...

Usually it takes a foundation shift for folks who are "blessed" with money and comfort to really care for others. Perhaps our blessings are really cursings that start out as a sniffle but end up as a case of "Idontgiveacrapitis". Tell your story, and perhaps the one of the greatest diseases hindering the "church" can be cured.

Unknown said...

abby, thank you for your courage. i actually wondered how you would react to this, not b/c i agree with who you've said you are, but b/c it's loud and bold and opinionated. thank you for your honesty. and if anyone judges you, it's b/c they haven't removed the plank from their own eye.
i'm so glad for mending in your life. i love you.

and ps to all readers, this post wasn't intended to be about stuff and money and my anger towrads it. i dont' mind the stuff. i mind the excess, the dependency on it for our emotional highs to continue, and for our badddd priorities when it comes to our stuff vs. lack of it.
and that's all.

Emma said...

Hmmm... it's been confirmed. There is a reason we are Liz's two favorite people. haha. everything you talk about is everything i felt the entire time i was home for 9 months... and even still feel here in BKK sometimes since, well... there is no denying the upper class runs this city that is so diff't from the rest of this area of the world.

i remember being home and just getting overwhelmed at the mall...
and gated communities... and churches with coffee bars...or two as is the case with my home church. (does one church really need to have two coffee shops? come on-kick the addiction)

you know i have been reading a lot lately about new democracies and how a lot of the citizens would rather turn back to authoritarian regimes if it meant to have more material wealth. can u imagine- trading a voice and freedom for things?!

sounds a lot like us christians, huh?

I think Asia misses you too.... but continue to rock the world you are in with reality.

Anonymous said...

Preach on Ashley-Prophet!

And you and Pamela are my two favorite people. I loved the phone conversation with Pamela where she informed me she was entering the mall in order to get another piercing. I told Pamela 'Um, I don't think another piercing is such a good idea.' She informed me she was convinced she should do it. But then she entered the mall and started looking around. 'Can you believe the mall? Seriously Liz, have you been to one of these places lately!' She got 10 feet in the mall and walked out in disgust. Much to my delight the mall deterred her from the greatly desired piercing. And I agree with you both. We need a wake-up call.

Emma said...

liz- you are making these people think i have all these piercings or whatnot- haha.
ps- both of you i talked to monk somchit yesterday :) he told me he has a 'monk meeting' soon... and... and when I asked what he was doing he said, "sitting under the coconut tree"- don't ask me why but that line made me laugh.

Unknown said...

asia girls:
a 72 year old monk derobed this weekend---and became a big C!!! holla.

Anonymous said...

Suffering is the touchstone of growth. I am thrilled whenever I have the opportunity to hear of someone suffering, providing they are suffering with the knowledge that it is creating the capacity to jettison the worthless temporal objects that we fill our achning lives with. It is excellent to know that you are suffering in light of such a knowledge; embracing the chance to throw away those things that grant only momentarily fulfillment. When we are able to thow those things aside without the suffering arriving, tossing acccumulated crap left and right with a ferocity for growing greater with God, we have begun to embrace what that suffering is intended for. And that is wonderful. God Bless.

Unknown said...

hello cj. nice "anonymous" cover. welcome to my blog!