Saturday, 20 August 2005

The Necklace of Memories, each of you a bead

Arley and Ash create Pirate Purses, designed for carrying small Asian children and paintbrushes

The Wednesday morning routine: lattes, granola, muffins, and books (and broken swings from time to time)

My little Senorita Kelly Severino and I holding our written agreements to write each other 2-3 emails a week until 2007

Drew Gullahorn can sleep anywhere, as long as he has his "Smashley" to hold him

Leonardo de Kara humbly holding her masterpiece, depicting our call to be salt and light in this world filled with synchronized swimmers and bosom buddy buddhists


A brief synopsis of my last week. I could only put 5 pictures at once, so I had to leave out a few:
Victory fighting off the raptors
Drew Gullahorn receiving his Monks tshirt with total joy
Baskin Robbins dancing with the Gullahorn Gang
Jake Severino karate chopping me in the kitchen
The Trail of Tears for the 'Saurs
2am Walmart Runs for Pink Floyd tshirts
Asherman and I playing in the snowbox
Stacey Nebel and I going crosseyed
Pump It Up with McConnell---a 25-year-old kids dream come true (yes, I jumped with all the 3 year olds)

As the time draws near for my Tuesday departure, my camera is clicking constantly. Memories are being made and captured faster than I have time to become sad or worrysome. God is graciously giving me compassion for the reality of the situation and how it affects others. I've been very steadily heading towards my drive to Virginia. I'm excited about all the rich moments which keep my love for my home strong and sweet. I desire to hold onto those until life's path and God's plan bring me back here. God is working and speaking and designing and decorating and planting and harvesting and mending and wooing:

I tried to pack, and I felt nauseated (correct form, V?). So I just threw a bunch of crap into a suitcase this morning and within 5 minutes I was done and out the door. It's too much to realistically reside in that place of separation. I know it's coming. I'm not denying or avoiding it. I'm walking as boldly as I can towards it. But I'm living in the moment. I'm DETERMINED to have fun, regardless of what or who is alongside me. Life is meant for such memories, such tastes of Heaven's glory and richness, when relationship with God and man is all we have to devote ourselves to. I've felt closer to the fellowship of believers that we are called to recently...and I'm just constantly thanking God for covering my wounds with a bandaid and restoring me to health.

On August 4th I heard a song that I've heard a million time: In Christ Alone. The last line ("Here in the power of Christ I'll stand") broke me. I became weak and spent about 5 days really figthing against that weak place. I didn't want to be weak. I wanted to have fun. But then, somehow, God answered prayers and just allowed me to be weak and to depend on his strength and to boast in that and to have fun not being the strong one. Joy returned to my life, and it wasn't dependent on my circumstances. Later that night I wrote the following:

< Why do I boast in myself? What has EVER led me to believe that without Christ, I have anything boast-worthy?
If I can mercifully look at humanity...If I can read...If I can understand art...If I can afford a car or a life of missions...If I can have love and give love...If I can be a daugther of of 2 amazing parents...If I can play the piano...If I can run a marathon or play sports...If I can debate an issue...If I can have friends and be liked by others...If I can fit in a wide variety of social circles...If I can write a good piece of work...If I can have a successful relationship...IF I can empathize with the hurting around me...If I can be seen as wise or talented or creative...If I can draw a picture or paint a painting...If I can see the beauty in a sunset or a face...If I can SEE...If I can love anything or anyone...If I can dream to be any of these things, anything at all...it is because Christ has instilled in me that potential. He has resided in my heart so fully that I lieve through His abilities, He has chosen to love and bless me even though I suck.>>

I'm just trying to stand in the power of Christ. If you are reading this, i don't deserve your friendship but God has given it to me because he loves me and you. So thank you for letting God love me through you today. A bazillion names are coming to mind, and I just want you to know I am thankful for you and what you are to me. Love to you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh ash thanks for calling tonight. after you called- many weired things happened. I will surely call and tell you. thank you for being in my life. Abbs

Anonymous said...

Ash,
How do you sum up a life long friendship in a few simple words? God has blessed me beyond comprehension because he has made sure we were friends all through the ups and downs of growing up. As your dad said this morning in Sunday School we are here on earth and the only way to experience heaven here is to have it within us. Well, I think friendships are a large part of that also. I thank God for planting the desire to know Him in your soul and in the souls of the friendships I have so recently developed. Isn't it amazing when you can see and hear and touch God through your friends? I could go on and on but this is your blog and I'm only supposed to leave a comment :) I love you all over the earth! Thank you for loving me.

Kara said...

Yeah, I am pretty cool

Amy-Jo said...

I met your dad today...he introduced himself. It sucks that you are gone...that is the first time I have typed that word...mainly because I know you will read it on MLC soil. Yea!
Seriously, stinks you are gone but I know you are called to great things and without the journey onward you become stuck and being stuck is like the word I wrote above but without the "t". Deuteronomy 7:6
6 For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! oil filter in a 2002 mazda mpv How to build a baby bouncer chair Disposable plastic car seat covers car wax coupon two-drawer dishwasher Little tikes gourmet kitchen Wolfgang puck kitchens at kodak theatre stocks bankrupcy vicodin benefits mental health Moving services new york city. Xenical story phentermine diet pill Acuvue contacis Benz canada car mercedes smart dishwashers dishwasher review find compare and norway dishwasher Soy candle fragrance oil dodge diplomat does adderall cause hair loss regis slot machines maytag dishwasher repair

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info kitchen bathroom remodeling va dc printer cartridges hp Breast enhancement no pill no creams no surgery Sex stories free pics