Tuesday, 30 August 2005

The value of "why".

"Sometimes I admire people who don’t ask ‘why’ questions, who only want to know the ‘how’ of life: How do I get paid, how do I get a wife, how do I make myself happy, whatever. The ‘why’ path isn’t so rewarding, if you think about it: What are we here, why do we feel what we feel, desire what we desire, need what we need, hate what we hate? I saw this Calvin and Hobbes cartoon once that had Calvin’s teacher asking the class to turn in their homework. Calvin raised his hand and asked why we exist. The teacher told Calvin not to change the subject but to turn in his homework, and what difference does it make anyway? Calvin leaned back in his chair and mumbled to himself that the answer to the question determined whether or not turning in his homework was important in the first place. And that is what I am talking about here, about needing the answer to the former question before the latter becomes important, about ‘why’ questions determining whether ‘how’ questions are important. And that is what I mean by admiring people who can just get a job, a big house, a trophy wife, and do whatever they want and never ask if it is connected to anything, whether their ‘how’ is validated by their ‘why’."


donald miller, Through Painted Deserts, 19-20

I have people in my life who get annoyed when I ask questions. Or who make fun of me for such attempts at understanding or relating to individuals. In my history of conversations with people, I recall times when I became so hesitant to ask questinos, to be the curious person I've been since childhood.
It hurts my heart right now and brings tears to my eyes. Being unloved or rejected for simply being who I am has been a confusing experience.
If you are out there in the world, asking God or your mom or your boss or your love or yourself "why"...don't stop there. Sit in the silent answers that will become songs of peace and victory and joy and triumph--and, oh God, maybe even acceptance--when God gives you ears to hear His answers. Don't ask anyone else to validate you (i'm preaching to myself here).

A solemn oath: "On this day, August 30, 2005, I Ashley Elizabeth Lovell solemnly give my word of promise to be myself, to ask "why" whenever and to whoever I feel the word coming out of my mouth towards, and to let you walk away from me if that annoys you."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay. Ashley- WHY did you get up this morning? plain and simple. Answer that one. I am sure to read it if you post that.
Abbs

Amy-Jo said...

Goober...we are reading the same book. So is Seth. SO is Karla. Why? I think it's because we're cool...or we think Donald Miller's cool or we think Painted Deserts are cool...

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure I annoy about 99.9% of the people I know in some way. Por que? Because I do ask questions and because I always have a story to tell about something related to something they are talking about. I have been trying to stop doing this because I am afraid that it is offensive to some. You know what? Screw that! I am who I am, you are who you are...keep on asking WHY! If someone is annoyed by me or they do not want to hear what I have to say then use those two things God gave you and get, Or roll away, whatever!

The mind is constantly growing. It's a beautiful organ. Those who do not ask why and think they know all are so so so fooling themselves and missing out on the amazing thing our brains can do LEARN. I must quote the insightful Hemingway:

"For a man's grasp should far exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

These words carry so much emotion for me. Desire to reach beyond what my small mind thinks I can achieve.
Desire to know. Desire to dig deep to find the answers. It's an absolutely beautiful thing that I cannot stress enough. Jesus planted the question WHY in so many heads he came across and he's still doing it two thousand years later. Absolutely AMAZING.

WHY? A great 3 letter word. DO NOT STOP ASKING IT. Finding out why gives you the key to teach someone else why. It is the key to knowledge. And I will hush now.

Anonymous said...

That was really long. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Saw Donald at school a couple weeks ago...he spoke at orientation. It was great...wished you could have been there.
Love you!

Seth said...

i dont have your email. and i need it. so bad.